skip to main page content

Graduation FAQ

Note: Click on a question to open the answer.
When does my graduation take place?

Here is a list of the ceremonies for Spring 2016.

Friday, May 6, 2016

  • 2:30 pm: Graduate Ceremony for College of Health, Science & Technology
  • 6:30 pm: Undergraduate Ceremony for College of Health, Science & Technology

Saturday, May 7, 2016

  • 9:00 am: Graduate & Undergraduate Ceremony for College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences, General Studies
  • 12:00 pm: Graduate & Undergraduate Ceremony for College of Education, Thrive
  • 3:00 pm: Graduate & Undergraduate Ceremony for Harmon College of Business & Professional Studies

Click here for more details.

Where can I get announcements, and how much do they cost?

Traditional announcements are available at UCM Store at The Crossing. Personalized announcements are available through Jostens website. Please refer to the mini-calendar above (on the right side of the page), or view our full calendar for dates that Jostens will be at UCM Store at The Crossing.

Traditional announcements available in the UCM Store are $8.95* for a package of five. Personalized announcements are available through Jostens.


What is a name card and do I need one?

The name card is the card that a graduation candidate presents to the reader before crossing the stage at the commencement ceremony. Name cards will be available to be picked up at the Multi-Purpose Building before heading to the line-up area, which starts a hour and a half before the graduation times. The designated name card station will be located on the first level of the Multi-Purpose Building. Please refer to the mini-calendar at the top right of this page (or the full calendar to see all dates). Picture ID is required when you pick up your name card. This is how your name will appear on your diploma. Do not alter your name card. You must bring your name card to the ceremony to have your name read!

  • Name cards are only available for Undergraduates at the Registrar's office the week of finals (May 2-May 6 ).
  • Name cards are available for Graduate students at the Multipurpose building the day of graduation.
When and where do I pick up my cap and gown, and what do I need?

To acquire your cap and gown, please log into your MyCentral account:

  • Click on the Student Services tab
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Graduation Regalia Form" in the center pane.
  • Your cap and gown acquisition form will open in a new window
  • Print this document and bring it and a photo ID to University Store at The Crossing to receive your cap and gown. Please refer to the above-right calendar or see our full calendar for a full listing of dates.


I don’t live in Warrensburg. May I have the cap and gown shipped to me?

Yes. University Store will ship your cap and gown for a $10 shipping fee. Please log into your MyCentral account:

  • Click on the Student Services tab
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Graduation Regalia Form" in the center pane.
  • Your cap and gown acquisition form will open in a new window
The University Store will NOT need a hard copy of this form in order for you to receive your cap and gown. You can then order online here. Or, contact University Store by:


  • Phone - (660) 543-4227 or (800) 330-7698
  • Email -
  • Or mail University Store, 500 S. Holden St., Elliott Union 128, Warrensburg, MO 64093

Include the following:

  • Your height - for gown size (please specify standard, XL, 2XL or larger)
  • Shipping address – Must be a street address. No P.O. Boxes please
  • If you are a Graduate student your hood will need to be purchased for $20, which will be charged through your Student Account.

Payment type:

  • Check - payable to University Store (shipment occurs after receipt of the check)
  • Credit or Debit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) - include card type, cardholder’s name, card number, and expiration date

How much does my cap and gown cost, and may I keep it?

Your cap and gown are included as a part of the $50 nonrefundable Graduation Fee, which is charged to your student account the month before graduation (November/April). This fee must be paid to the university before your diploma will be shipped. Graduate degree candidates will need to purchase their hoods for $20, which will be charged to their student account.

Charges may be paid in the Office of Student Financial Services (SFS), WDE 1100, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F, with cash, check or debit card (Discover or Mastercard). Payments may be made online at Online, Student Financial Services accepts web checks without a service fee. A service fee of 2.75% is charged when paying with a credit card. Or, if you prefer, your payment may be mailed to the Office of Student Financial Services. Please call (660) 543-8266 if you have any questions.

The cap and gown are yours to keep. The hood is yours to keep as well, unless you decide to return it.

How do I know my cap and gown size, and what do I do if my gown doesn't fit?

The caps are "one size fits most," but an XL cap is available upon request. The gowns are sized based on height; though accommodation is made for larger sizes.

If your gown doesn't fit, bring it in its original condition to UCM Store at The Crossing, and we will exchange it for the proper size.

Why doesn’t the tassel come with the graduation year?

The year is not part of university regalia. They are typically used in high school commencement ceremonies only.

Can I wear the souvenir tassel instead of the one issued to me?

The University recommends you wear the regalia provided to you.

Do I wear the hood into the ceremony?

No. Graduate degree recipients will be hooded on stage. Some candidates choose to wear their hood for pictures prior to commencement, but the hoods are not to be worn into the ceremony.

What do the different hood colors represent?

They correspond to the different graduate degrees.

  • White – Master of Arts
  • Tan – Master of Business Administration
  • Gold – Master of Science
  • Blue – Master of Science in Education
  • Broad Blue – Education Specialist
What happens if I do not want to keep my hood?

Hoods may be returned at the UCM Store at The Crossing during regular business hours. The University Store will charge the purchase fee of $20 to your student account prior to graduation. Your diploma will not be shipped until this fee is paid via your UCM student account. When you return your hood, the $20 dollar fee will be credited back to your account.

What recognition is given if I am graduating with honors?

Undergraduate students graduating with honors receive a medallion to wear in addition to the cap and gown as follows:

  • Summa cum laude gold ribbon with medallion
  • Magna cum laude red ribbon with medallion
  • Cum laude white ribbon with medallion
How many people may I bring to the commencement ceremony?

There is no limit to the number of guests graduation candidates may bring. All family and friends are welcome. Come early for best seating.

Will guests need tickets?

No. Tickets are not necessary for the graduation ceremony. Plenty of seating is available for all guests.

Do parents of degree candidates get special seating?

No. Guest seating is available in the bleachers on a first come, first serve basis. Floor seating is reserved for degree candidates and faculty only.

Does the Multipurpose Building offer special accommodations for people with special needs?

Students or guests with special needs will find handicap parking at the west end of the Multipurpose building parking lot, with wheelchair seating and a seat for one companion inside the west doors of the auditorium. The first three rows of seats on the north side are reserved for persons with disabilities and one companion. Persons who are deaf or have low vision may want to sit at the west end of these seats to be close to the ASL interpreter and to the presenters on stage. Assistive listening devices and program schedules in large print and Braille are also available at the west end of the building. Please contact Accessibility Services for a complete copy of the program in Braille or large print and for additional information: 660-543-4421.

I would like to put my diploma in a frame. Where do I get one?

A variety of custom frames and mats are available from the UCM Store at The Crossing. Prices start at just $44.88 for brass or silver finished frames. Shipping/handling charges apply to orders placed via the web or phone. Check the graduation merchandise page on University Store's website for the complete assortment.

Graduation Calendar

Show all   Hide all

Updated February 15th, 2015